Teaching staff of Functional Skills must:
- Have 2 years’ experience in teaching/training
- Be working towards an appropriate teaching/training qualification (Cert Ed or Learning & Development trainer units)
- Hold an appropriate teaching/training qualification (Cert Ed or Learning & Development trainer units)
- Have knowledge and experience in the subject being taught to be able to judge the learner’s performance against the Functional Skills Standards and to be able to justify their teaching practice.
- As a minimum hold the same level of the qualification being taught - but preferably hold a higher level.
Assessors and internal verifiers of the Speaking, Listening and Communication element of Functional Skills English must:
- Have an understanding of the assessment or verification process.
- Have verifiable relevant experience and current knowledge of the occupational working area at, or above, the level they are assessing or verifying. This experience and knowledge must be of sufficient depth to be effective and reliable when judging learner competence or verifying assessment processes and decisions.